“But you were never like this before. What happened?”
Over the past four years, I’ve changed. People who haven’t seen me for years are pretty confused by it all. All of a sudden, I’ve become a writer, a gym-goer and an entrepreneur.
I get this question all the time. It never fails to make me feel completely awesome.
I used to be an average student and very much a tomboy. Now, I’m tall, fit and confident as hell about my career.
I’ve made huge changes in my life, but there’s something I can’t quite figure out. Why did I change?
Just as I have changed, I have read about and experienced the changes of many other people. Dozens even. For example:
- A person is overweight their entire life — until suddenly they become a gym rat.
- A person is content with their 9-to-5 job — until suddenly they quit to try it out on their own.
- A person is overjoyed at having a significant other — until suddenly they dump them to find their one true love.
People are generally okay with their lot in life — until suddenly they make a change.
I haven’t been able to figure out why.
What spurs these people to change? What triggers the need to shift? Why that moment? What made it happen?
In my quest to figure it this out, I’ve come up with a list of emotions, situations, and gut feelings that I keep coming across in my work as a writer, mentor, designer, wife, friend, and, well, as a human being.
These are not reasons why people change — they are more like the situations I keep noticing around people who do change. They linger off to the sides when that awesome switch goes off.
Here are 25 emotions and experiences I recognize as clear signs that a change in your life is brewing, just waiting to happen:
1. You could do your boss’s job with your hands tied behind your back.
2. Sunday night feels like walking off the plank of a ship.
3. You admire people who are giving it a go on their own.
4. You’ve realized that your favorite part of your job is making yourself a coffee.
5. The countdown to the end of each workday feels like you’re counting down to Christmas.
6. Time is an illusion, and you never have enough of it to go around.
7. Hearing stories of happy people no longer makes you wince — it makes you hopeful.
8. You’ve realize that you are as talented as people who are making their dreams happen.
9. A sense of longing for a fit and healthy life invades you when you see people exercising.
10. You may not have time to work out, but you have started taking the stairs and walking a bit more than usual.
11. Some alone time with yourself is top priority on your to-do list.
12. In addition to the intention of getting in shape, your body is telling you (by getting sick too often) that it needs a check-up.
13. You wish you had a partner in crime to exercise with and hold you accountable.
14. Reading a new book or article has you overflowing with ideas and potential getaway plans.
15. Buying more and more material goods is causing your closet to overflow but your heart is still empty.
16. If you had $1,000, you’d spend it on a vacation and not a new gadget.
17. Lately, you’ve ventured into the social media world more in depth, getting to know interesting folks and ideas from around the world.
18. The words idea and creativity have been bouncing around your head for months.
19. Instead of parties and socializing, getting to know yourself better has been the best part of the year.
20. You find yourself suddenly attracted to new kinds of friends and personalities.
21. You have a handful of people you turn to when you need some inspiration, courage, and kick in the pants.
22. The realization that you’ve only got one shot to live an awesome life is hitting you hard.
23. Time with your family is your version of heaven.
24. Sharing experiences of love and caring beat out that feeling of a new purse or new pair of shoes.
25. You’re ready to do whatever it takes to rip your life out of the hands of those who don’t deserve it. You’re ready to get your life back and make your own decisions.
There are a ton of these that applied to me before I made changes in my life. Many of them still apply to me today — which is why I keep evolving what I do and why I do it. They keep me going forward when I feel like resting.
Note: They also serve as awesome answers for those people who ask me what the hell happened to me and why I changed.
What about you? Can you recognize any of these in your life? Do you think you’re ready for a change?
These 25 are only a starting point. If you can think of any more signs that indicate a change, feel free to add them in the comments.
Note: I’m launching a new project based completely on making awesome life changes. If you’re up for it, together, we can come up with a reason to why change really happens. Sign up here to be notified of updates and more information before anyone else: